Thursday, March 7, 2013

Update Manager Service not starting on a fresh install

This week I ran into a fresh install of vSphere and Update Manager 5.1.

Everything went fine with SSO, Inventory Services and vCenter, but Update Manager had a different story, despite the fact the installation went fine too, no errors and the tables were created on the database as it would be, the service was not starting up.

On the attempt to start Update Manager I got the following error:

"Windows Could not start the VMware Update Manager service on local computer. Error 1067: the process terminated unexpectedly"

Checking Update Managers’ log there were several messages like: Failed to get the module name for process….

Well making a long story short, after some troubleshooting I realize the problem was my ODBC connection with the database.

As you probably know, you cannot use the SQL client which comes by default with Windows, instead you need to install the SQL Native Client, which is provided by SQL Server Feature Pack.

And as you could imagine there are several versions of them, depending on the SQL server version, release, service pack…

On this implementation, I’ve been using SQL Native Client 11 for vCenter connection with no problem at all, but apparently Update Manager does not like this version.

After I installed SQL Native Client 10 and changed the Update Manager ODBC connection to use this client version everything went as expected and the service started just fine.

Since my vCenter was working fine I saw no reason to remove the Native Client version 11.

Now my server has been running both versions concurrently with no problem.
SQL Native Client 11 for vCenter ODBC connection.
SQL Native Client 10 for Update Manager ODBC connection.

See you next


Anonymous said...

Thanks for this - been beating my head against a brick wall for several days. Working now!



Eduardo Meirelles da Rocha said...

Hey Paul, glad it help you !!!

Anonymous said...

Had exactly the same issue for 2 days as I was using SQL 2012. Installed version 10 and worked a treat.


Tall_Paul said...

Absolute life saver! Thank you so much!

As a side note, as well as the above I also had to alter the 'Log On' settings of the vSphere Update Manager Service to run as an account with domain admin permissions.

Frickin' VMware! I can't believe this isn't documented in their knowledgebase.

Unknown said...

Excellent post. Saved me hours and hours of heart-ship.

Nowhere to be found on VMware documentation. :(

Chikavelja said...

Thanks Eduardo, that was very helpful!

Eduardo Meirelles da Rocha said...

Glad it's helpful guys.

Post a Comment

Who am I

My photo
I’m an IT specialist with over 15 years of experience, working from IT infrastructure to management products, troubleshooting and project management skills from medium to large environments. Nowadays I'm working for VMware as a Consulting Architect, helping customers to embrace the Cloud Era and make them successfully on their journey. Despite the fact I'm a VMware employee these postings reflect my own opinion and do not represents VMware's position, strategies or opinions. Reach me at @dumeirell

Most Viewed Posts

Blog Archive